Top 10 Films of the 1970's

This will be the last decade, I promise. That is until I uncover my best of the 2000's! But I will leave that for another time. That might have to be a 100 film list. So, you can look forward to that. The 70's were a strange period for films. They are very hard to relate to for our generation. The 60's were worse, but they did have some great films like The Graduate. This list will be a small one, only ten films. This list does have one the best films ever made though, as I will reveal a little later. So, do yourself a favor, and enjoy!

10. The Exorcist (1973) - Directed by William Friedkin. Starring Linda Blair, Max von Sydow.
Still one of the scariest films ever made. Back in '73, people were fainting, puking, crying their eyes out in the theater. It was shocking stuff, and it still gives me the willies.
9. The Bad News Bears (1976) - Directed by Michael Ritchie. Starring Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal.
I bet no one realizes Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen, Shutter Island) was in this film. This film is NOT to be confused with the Godawful 2005 remake. This film is fun, fun, fun. Love it!
8. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) - Directed by Mel Stuart. Starring Gene Wilder.
Another brilliant film with a bruuuuuutal remake. After I watched the 2005 remake I burned down a small village in Tikrit in sheer frustration...true story.
7. Taxi Driver (1976) - Directed by Martin Scorsese. Starring Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster.
"You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here." Classic De Niro and Scorsese. Who can forget Travis Bickle?
6. The Godfather: Part II (1974) - Directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Starring Al Pacino, Robert De Niro.
I know, I know...everyone says this is the best film ever made. I happen to think Part I is much, much better. This is still a fantastic film, and a groundbreaking triliogy.
5. Jaws (1975) - Directed by Steven Spielberg. Starring Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss.
Spielberg creating the summer blockbuster hit with Jaws. Although Jaws 2-4 were, um, not good, this film will forever be remembered. Were gonna need a bigger boat...
4. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) - Directed by George Lucas. Starring Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill.
I don't have to say much here, Star Wars rules. Episode IV can be a little boring at times, but it layed ground for one of the best trilogies ever made.
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) - Directed by Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones. Starring John Cleese, Eric Idle.
I almost died the first time I saw this. It's one of those films everyone can quote, word for word. Never gets old.
2. The Godfather (1972) - Directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Starring Marlon Brando, Al Pacino.
What a masterpiece. Brando is mesmerizing. Pacino is fearce. This entire film is breathtaking. It took me way too long to see it. Don't be that guy.
1. A Clockwork Orange (1971) - Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Starring Malcolm McDowell.
Easily one of the ten best films ever made, by one of the best directors ever born. This film doesn't leave your brain. It just sticks there. Once it's over, you will want to watch another time, and another after that. Do yourself a favor, yeah you, reading this! See it!
A Clockwork Orange

Taxi Driver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Actors

Top 25 Films of the 1990's

Now on DVD