Let Me In (2010) R

I reviewed Let the Right One In, which was based on a novel written by John Ajvide Lindqvist, last week. Lindqvist also wrote the screenplay for that film. It was directed by Tomas Alfredson. It played at festivals in early 2008 and was finally released to a wide audience in Sweden and northern Europe in October of 2008. It also hit a limited amount of theaters in the U.S. at the same time. It became such a huge hit and success that Matt Reeves (Cloverfield) adapted it for the screen once again, just two short years later. Although Let Me In is a near replica of the original film, it stands on its on. There are just the right amount of changes and improvements to make this film a must see as well. The original film is mesmerizing and captivating, and this film will also snag your attention for 115 minutes.

Instead of Oskar and Eli, we have Owen and Abby. Owen is played by Kodi Smit-McPhee (The Road) and Abby is played by Chloe Moretz (Kick-Ass, (500) Days of Summer). They are both fantastic, and have great careers ahead of them, especially Moretz. I'm not going to get into too much detail about the film, because I already explained it in my Let the Right One In review, just days ago. But I will give my thoughts and a few differences between the two films.

Richard Jenkins (North Country, Step Brothers) was cast perfectly as Abby's father figure. He has some hair raising scenes as he tries to hunt, kill, and drain people's blood so Abby can survive. The one glaring difference between the two films is the addition of Elias Koteas (The Fourth Kind, Defendor) as the policeman. I thought it was a good change, my self. He tries to find out who's been murdering and ritualistically killing all these people.

Sasha Barrese (The Hangover) plays Owen's neighbor, who he spies on. She ends up getting bitten by Abby (as was the case in the original), but in this film she feeds on herself in a fantastic scene. Ritchie Coster (The Dark Knight) is Mr. Zoric, Owen's strength trainer/gym teacher. He adds some much needed comedy at times. Owen's father is out of the mix in this film, which didn't bother me. Although he does talk to him on the phone in an emotional scene.

It actually opens half way through the film in the epic hospital scene, which was a nice touch. But I thought both hospitals scenes were better in the original. Too many special effects were used, but they're still fantastic scenes. There is an epic car crash added, which was a huge upgrade.

The ending was actually improved on, I thought. It's a litter darker and harder to see, but there's a lot more going on. And that final shot above the pool is one that you won't soon forget.

This film didn't do particularly good at the box office, coming in at eighth behind Case 39, which is a complete travesty in itself. I'm not completely surprised on the $5.1 million it made because of the debut of The Social Network. The Town is also a good film that's not going anywhere. But you also have The Legend of the Guardians and Alpha and Omega that kids will flock to on the weekend. I guess people just aren't interested in R rated horror films anymore. It's a shame that people will give away their left nut to see the next Twilight crapper, but won't get out and see an actually good vampire film.

If you can handle some blood, a 12-year-old vampire, some violence, scarce language, and brief nudity than please give this film a try. There's a fantastic coming of age love story entwined in all the madness. This film also posts some interesting questions that should have you seeking out the wonderful original film, or even taking a look at the best selling book. This coming weekend has nothing but garbage coming out (*cough* Life as We Know It *cough*), so you don't have an excuse not to see this film and The Social Network. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed. Once again, if you want to know more about this film, than read my review on Let the Right One In. It's in the archives. I don't know what else to say people, do yourself a favor. But be sure to get your popcorn ready.
B+

Comments

  1. I also wish they would have used more practical special effects like the first one did, practical effects are always way creepier and realistic than CG. Can't say I agree with you on the ending though, I think the original pool scene is superior, but that's just me. Good remake but like your grades indicate the original was better overall.

    And yes that was one of the best, if not the best, car crash ever shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed on the effects. I don't know, I liked the ending. I think the big reason was getting to see it on the big screen with the sound up to 11. Yes, the original is better, but this was a much needed remake. It's too bad people would rather see Case 39 and You Again. Yes, that car crash was fantastic. Being that I had seen the original I knew what was coming around every corner, and the crash caught me off guard. Good film.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 25 Films of the 1990's

Top Horror Films

Top 100 Actors