Top Horror Films

15. Triangle (2009) - Directed by Christopher Smith. Starring Melissa George.
This is a rare hidden gem. It's tagged as a supernatural horror film, but I would call it a psychological horror/thriller. This film makes you think, and it challenges us to try and rap our brains around this unbelievable plot. It's loosely based on the Bermuda Triangle concept, but it's unlike anything you've seen. Triangle is quite similar to a film I've recommended before called Timecrimes. Both films are must-sees!

14. The House of the Devil (2009) - Directed by Ti West. Starring Jocelin Donahue.
This a throwback to the great horror classics of the 70's. It really looks and feels like you're back in the 70's with the hair, the vehicles and the cinematic cliches. This film takes its sweet time getting to the point, but it builds tension and the last few scenes are memorable. Every babysitter horror film take a back seat to this one, in my mind.

13. Saw II (2005) - Directed by Darren Lynn Bousman. Starring Donnie Wahlberg, Tobin Bell.
If you like Tobin Bell's Jigsaw character, then this is the Saw film for you. It's fun to see the other Wahlberg get in on the act. A few of the characters in Jigsaw's trap are poor actors, but overall this is another fantastic puzzle of a film.

12. Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Directed by Zack Snyder. Starring Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames.
This is a hugely underrated film. Until last years fantastic and hilarious Zombieland was released, this was the only fun zombie film to date. Aren't zombies more terrifying when they can sprint? Most definitely. From the opening credits highlighted by "The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash, to the ending credits laced with an unexpected twist, this film takes us on an amazing thrill ride.

11. The Shining (1980) - Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Starring Jack Nicholson.
Vintage Kubrick and a Nicholson on top of his game lead to a beautiful nightmare of a film. By far the best axe-murderer film to date. This is what a haunted house film should be. The fantastic soundtrack sets the eerie tone for the blood-bath.

Triangle

Comments

  1. I watched "Triangle" last night and I'm not sure what to think about it mainly because I'm not sure I grasped the plot. It was interesting, but it got confusing and seemed repetitive and that's what threw me off. I watched the behind the scenes to try help me understand it a bit more and all I really "got" was she was stuck in a fierce cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triangle threw me for a loop and took me off guard. I was expecting some dumb slasher film set in the bermuda triangle, but it was so much more. Scene after scene we slowly understand why she is doing what she's doing. The ending is terrific.

    SPOILERS!
    They're obviously trapped in a time warp. She discovers that by murdering everyone on board she can break the cycle. The loop will start over and she has a fresh opportunity to escape the ship. What she doesn't realize is that the only way she can get back to land is her falling overboard. Which she eventually does. When she wakes up, things have started over. She sees herself being a terrible mother, and after this life-altering experience she wants to make things right with her son. But she must kill herself to do so. What she doesn't recall is that her son was killed in a car accident while fleeing with the body. We're not exactly sure why she doesn't remember, perhaps it's the after effects of the car accident. A few clues: her saying her son is in school, because she can't remember where he is. And her mentioning to herself on the ship that she must kill to save their son. All she knows is that she must now board the yacht once again to have another try at saving her son.

    That's what I got from it. Yes, it's confusing, but I love being confused. I like using my brain when watching films. There are still things I don't understand about this film. But there are still things I don't understand about my favorite movie of all-time (Donnie Darko).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 25 Films of the 1990's

Top 100 Actors