Top Horror Films

In celebration of Halloween, the weirdest worldwide holiday ever, I will be counting down my 30 favorite horror films of all time. Keep in mind that these are my favorite horror films. They're not necessarily the 30 best. Horror films are often hard to grade, because they're often stupid, corny and poorly acted. Some of these films you might say aren't horror, but just because a film doesn't have monsters, ghouls, ghosts, an axe-murderer, zombies or vampires doesn't mean it's not horror. Horror is an intense, painful feeling of repugnance and fear. Or something unpleasant, ugly, or disagreeable. Some people say the Hostel or Saw films aren't horror, but I strongly disagree. Put yourselves in their shoes. Now, tell me that isn't horrific. There will no doubt be some films that you believe should be on this list. If so, please let me know. Most of the films on this list were made in the last decade. A lot of the movies that scared me in the 90's just don't do it for me anymore. My favorite type of horror film is one that is well-made, interesting and captivating. My second favorite type is the campy, funny, bloody type. Third would have to be the spine-tingling, lip-biting, slasher/torture type. I will list five films per/day. So, without further ado, here we go...

30. Saw V (2008) - Directed by David Hackl. Starring Scott Patterson, Costas Mandylor.
This will not be the last Saw film on this list. These films don't get enough credit for how smart they are. I honestly thought that after Saw IV, the franchise would go way south and become straight-to-DVD films. I was wrong, thankfully. I'm excited to finally see one in 3D.

29. Diary of the Dead (2007) - Directed by George A. Romero. Starring Michelle Morgan, Joshua Close.
Zombie movies are among my favorites. What we got here is a documentary-style zombie film, which we have never seen before (to my knowledge). Although Cloverfield came out months before this film, they're very different. The hand-held camera work only makes it more terrifying. Mr. Romero knows what he's doing when it comes to zombies, since he did come up with the idea all those years ago.

28. House on Haunted Hill (1999) - Directed by William Malone. Starring Geoffrey Rush, Famke Janssen.
This is a remake of a very good Vincent Price film made in the late 50's. I think it was an honorable remake, and it delivers the scares. The acting isn't fantastic by any means, but the imagery is very creepy. This is a very entertaining haunted house film.

27. Halloween (1978) - Directed by John Carpenter. Starring Jamie Lee Curtis.
NO! Not the Rob Zombie film! The original Halloween's were so much better, and a lot scarier. The theme song is infamous, and Michael Myers is much more frightening than Jason Voorhees or Freddy Krueger. Halloween II and III are also good, but the rest get old fast.

26. Quarantine (2008) - Directed by John Erick Dowdle. Starring Jennifer Carpenter.
I still plan on seeing the film it's based on, called "[REC]." This is another hand-held camera/documentary-style film, but this one definitely challenges our inner claustrophobia. When they first enter the apartment complex this film becomes extremely intense. The end is worth the wait. [REC] 2 recently came out, so I would expect a Quarantine 2 to follow next year.
Diary of the Dead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top Horror Films

Top 25 Films of the 1990's

Now on DVD